Pages

Friday, August 5, 2011

Does helplessness have the power to help??


I had seen this movie – 127 hours a few months ago… I guess most people have seen it… An amazing movie (in my opinion ofcourse!).. made in a manner that can give you goose-bumps…

He realizes… that he may shout and scream.. no one was around.. there will be no help… the rock was stuck…. He wasn’t strong enough to move it… his Swiss knife wasn’t capable of cutting it.. there was no hope… he was stuck in a way that nothing can be done…..

And suddenly he decides to help himself.. to free himself of the rock… to do whatever is required in doing so…to fight till his last breath... to go to the extent of cutting his own arm… millimetre by millimetre… to scrape his bone… to cut every nerve that blocks him from freedom….  to reach to the core… to detach a living arm from himself… To survive on things that are beyond the understandings of a regular humans….

It made me wonder… why??

I just couldn’t digest the fact that how can a person go to such extents and fight for life… for freedom?? Would it not be easy to give up.. to let destiny take over??  To die??

I had gone for water rappelling a couple of weeks ago (I have already mentioned this in one of my earlier blogs)…

Ofcourse it wasn’t dangerous… and I was sure that I wasn’t going to die… I had all safety measures attached to me.. to ensure that whatever may happen… I survive with nothing more than a few scratches..

Knowing this… with a lot of fear in mind, I start rappelling… one step at a time… measuring the water-fall force and using all my mind to concentrate on keeping my feet on the wall… obviously I am not good at this.. and so I slip.. bang… against the wall…!!

And I lose it… all the nerve that I had before I started the rappel… everything’s gone.. suddenly, I want to get down… want to reach the ground… enough of adventure for the day… I know I am not going to die.. but still…I am scared… the water is hitting my head (there is a helmet on it ofcourse) and I don’t know how to start again.. how to get going….

I shout… but no voice comes out… where the hell did my loudspeaker disappear at a time I needed it???

I try to look down…. To find the person who is waiting there for me with my rope in his hand… but I can’t see anyone… not because I have suddenly turned blind (like my voice had betrayed me).. but because there was so much water that it was not possible to see anything from the height that I was at (not that high... just 90 ft from the ground)…

So what do I do?? I cannot shout… I cant see anyone, thus no chance of asking them to pull me down… !!

I am stuck at this place in the middle of nowhere.. scared as hell…knowing that I have just myself to help…  

Suddenly.. I get a feeling that I can do it… feeling helpless gave me the power… chuck everyone.. I can help myself… or more like…. I can help myself till someone else can help me… 

I ignore the water fall…. push the wall with my hands… balance my feet against the wall and start again…
I fought… I tried… I fell a few more times… but this time… I did not give up… I kept going… till finally I saw the person waiting for me… I did it… all by myself.. I conquered the task….

As usual… I wondered….

Why so??? wasn’t helplessness supposed to be the end??  wasn’t I supposed to give up?? 

Well ofcourse in this situation it wasn’t the end for me … if I hadn’t turned up for a few mins… definitely help would have come…

Its then that i realized that when you feel that there will be no help.. and you know that this is not the end... you get the power to fight...

Referring to general life… there would have been many instances when you feel helpless… hopeless… that you can do nothing… that you are doomed for life…. you feel that it would be better if the world ends… or rather your life would end…

Go deeper into your past…. Think about every such event that made you feel lost.. feel helpless… When you are at your lowest… something surely would have had happened…that helped you fight…. that brought life back.. and made you feel that it will be alright….


The famous saying comes in my mind on this….It's always darkest before the dawn…. Which is true… at an hour when everything is dark…there is a small hole that appears suddenly and it brings light…

The next time when I feel helpless again.. I know that downright helplessness will bring with itself a stronger feeling… this feeling will bring along hope… and that hope will give me the power… to live again…till it is not the end… forever!!


No comments: